01/07/2011

100th post: How to bake the perfect cupcake!

Hello everyone :)

I thought I'd do a bit of a different post for my 100th post (feels like I've done way more), and thought I'd share this recipe with you. It's from Nigella Lawson's "Domestic Goddess" cookbook which is an absolute God send for me! 

Basic Cupcake Recipe (makes 12)

You will need...


125g Unsalted butter at room temperature


125g caster sugar


2 eggs


125g Self Raising flour


1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



Basically, chuck all of that into a food processor...

Don't forget to put the blade in your food processor like I did -.-


Mix til smooth, then add 2-3 tablespoons of milk whilst pulsing to make a smooth consistency.


At this point I poured the mixture into a measuring jug to make it easier to pour into the cupcake moulds!


Like so :)

 IMPORTANT: Put the cupcakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes. I had mine in muffin cases, so, they needed a little longer. Check them after 15 and if they haven't risen, put them on for another 3-4 minutes and check again.


Leave to cool on a wire rack once done, and when your tray has cooled transfer the cupcakes on to the cooling rack. If your cupcakes start to sink when you take them out,  put them back in the oven for another 2 minutes!



Whilst they are cooling you can make your buttercream - you need about 200g butter to 200g icing sugar but it's basically a matter of whipping the butter up until pale and fluffy and then adding the icing sugar until pale and lovely-tasting. Also add a few drops of milk/vanilla essence to make the buttercream glossy.


(Making buttercream whilst watching Wimbledon is optional)




Then ice your cakes, adding whatever you want on top!




Let me know if you try them! :)

xxx

No comments: